Speedzilla Forums banner

Blackstone Tec Carbon Fiber wheels...worth the money?

37K views 141 replies 45 participants last post by  mrgrn 
#1 · (Edited)
After seeing this guy highside a new Ducati 749R with Blackstone CF wheels I have no intention of ever putting these on anything I ride, even if I could afford them.

See less See more
#7 ·
Ah yes...the thread that will not die.

FWIW, I have these wheels, and they have held up fine, under very strenuous conditions, including 165 mph + speeds at VIR, and extremely hard braking at Summit Point when entering T1.

I would, however, like to get more information about what happened, to include the results of any "after accident" analysis of the wheels.

:twocents

#8 ·
hubert said:
What did the rear wheel look like? The same sort of damage?
None to the rear.

#9 ·
998R said:
Ah yes...the thread that will not die.

FWIW, I have these wheels, and they have held up fine, under very strenuous conditions, including 165 mph + speeds at VIR, and extremely hard braking at Summit Point when entering T1.

I would, however, like to get more information about what happened, to include the results of any "after accident" analysis of the wheels.

:twocents
I was a few riders behind the kid that crashed this bike at Beaverun. He was coming up hill on on the back section of the track and lost the rear and highsided. The bike sprung upwards, vaulted the rider who suffered a busted collar bone and the bike landed on the front wheel, left rotor and the interior of the wheel (Spokes) basically exploded.

The rest was some cosmetic damage and maybe a new subframe will be needed.
Ken

#10 ·
Dave said:
Uh oh. Not again.
Sorry if this is one of those threads that is repeated too often here. I never saw that happen and I thought it would be information worth sharing. Rider safety can't be over stressed.
Ken

#20 ·
nycstripes said:
I was a few riders behind the kid that crashed this bike at Beaverun. He was coming up hill on on the back section of the track and lost the rear and highsided. The bike sprung upwards, vaulted the rider who suffered a busted collar bone and the bike landed on the front wheel, left rotor and the interior of the wheel (Spokes) basically exploded.

The rest was some cosmetic damage and maybe a new subframe will be needed.
Ken
Thanks!

#22 ·
nycstripes said:
So the highside caused the crash & the front wheel took the entire force of the bike's landing. I would expect the wheel to exhibit some type of damage based on that - no matter what it's made from...

#26 ·
I worked for GMD for awhile, and youd be amazed at how stiff forks are these days....we'd have a bike that needed all sorts of tweaking and pulling on the frame to get it straight, but the forks would be perfect....99% of the time if there was a front end misalignment, it was because the lower triples were twisted, but the forks usually werent bent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.